There are probably programs on your computer that you did not install yourself. And even worse: you don't even know what programs they are. And they may even have been spying on you for weeks or months! Yes, there is a good chance that you have spyware installed on your PC. spyware is a collective term for software that transmits your data to the manufacturer or third parties - albeit without your consent - or uses this data to place and show you various advertisements. No question about it, spyware is a major evil and needs to be found and deleted. There are anti-spyware programs for this.
But what exactly is spyware (and what isn't)? How can you find malicious spyware on your computer and remove it easily and smoothly? Which anti-spyware programs are there and how do they work? This post will cover everything you need to know about spyware, anti-spyware, and spyware removal. And we have for you the best anti-spyware in the test and comparison.
|Best anti-spyware provider|
What is spyware? Unwanted software on your computer
Anyone who installs freeware programs on their computer, downloads software from dubious websites or without them Anti-virus software or firewall surfs, there is a very high probability that he has programs on his computer that he doesn't even know about.
Programs that are without his knowledge installed together with freeware, for example, or was automatically executed when opening a dubious website. Such software programs are commonly referred to as spyware.
What types of spyware are there?
There are several types of spyware; they range from little to extremely dangerous. Overall, you have to distinguish between adware, surveillance spyware and keyloggers.
- Adware, a compound term from "advertising" and "software", describes software and programs that nestle on the PC and show the user various types of advertisements. Often the start page of the browser is changed, a system bar is added to the browser or an advertising popup opens every few minutes. However, adware can also appear in the form of advertising banners on smartphone apps.
- Surveillance spyware is particularly dangerous because it is used by hackers to monitor and record all your activities on the PC. For example, your passwords, login details or credit card information can be recorded and transmitted to hackers.
- Keylogger are small programs that nestle in the system execution and henceforth record all your keystrokes and transmit them to third parties. So other people will know what you've entered. In particular, your secret passwords, login data, online banking and credit card information can be stolen.
How spyware gets on your PC
Many users are surprised that unwanted software and programs can lodge on their PC. This usually occurs via one of three possible processes:
|Method||What exactly is happening|
|Download add-on||Most spyware is installed on the system in combination with the installation of freeware. Some software manufacturers pair their download with spyware because this is how they finance themselves. Often times during the installation process it is pointed out briefly and without further details, the installation of the spyware is checked by default, clicked on too quickly and it is easy to overlook this. The program can either be uninstalled using the Control Panel or removed using the Anti-Spyware.|
|Add-on without notice||In cheeky cases the spyware is simply installed on the system with the freeware without notice, there is no indication at all. The spyware may even be a program function of the freeware software that you have just installed.|
|Browser execution||Another possibility is the (automatic) execution of an application when surfing on a dubious website. You may want to download a song or a PDF file, but they will offer you an exe file. If you click quickly, the installation may already have been carried out.|
Spyware protection options
There are two types of anti-spyware solutions:
- First there are those that are part of a comprehensive anti-virus solution or even one Complete internet security solution are. There are the well-known providers Avira, AVG, Norton Symantec, McAfee, Total AV or Bitdefender. This software offers essential protection for all Internet traffic and should not be missing on any computer.
- The second type of anti-spyware solutions are Stand-alone spyware scannerwhich are specially tailored to detect spyware and adware on the computer. While such a solution is cheaper, it does not offer the full protection of anti-virus software and can also prove to be incompatible with such software. It can happen that stand-alone anti-spyware crashes with an error message when performing a scan because the anti-virus solution is currently trying to access the same resource.
Criteria for Selecting Anti-Spyware Software
When choosing a suitable anti-spyware, you should pay particular attention to the following criteria and properties:
The topmost criterion is the ability Detect existing spyware on the PC. Only in this way can it be rendered harmless and removed. Unfortunately, not every program recognizes every danger, which is to be understood as a security risk. That is why the recognition rate is checked in all major test reports.
A check of the entire PC for spyware, ie a "system scan", can be very time-consuming and slow down the PC significantly while it is being carried out. You may also want to scan just a disk or specific directories for spyware. The best anti-spyware is there for you multiple scanning options: from an all-encompassing system scan to a superficial speed scan or a user-defined scan, where you can determine the drive to be checked yourself. The more flexible the setting options are, the better.
Anti-spyware, similar to an anti-virus program, should monitor the current data traffic with the Internet as well as executed files for spyware dangers and these automatically block and make you aware of it. While the regular scan provides peace of mind, after the initial cleaning after installation, no spyware should find its way into your system. Unfortunately, most stand-alone solutions do not offer this function.
An anti-spyware solution should always run in the background in order to be able to detect and resolve real-time threats; regular scans should also be carried out. This puts a heavy load on the PC's system and primarily slows it down, and the parallel execution of other programs is restricted because the main memory has little capacity. Anti-spyware should be used so that the system performance is impaired as little as possible lean and resource-saving act.
Not the top criterion, but still an advantage, is an anti-spyware that does not take too long for thorough scans to use the main memory not burdened for long at a hunt.
Not the top priority, but ideally it can be an anti-spyware without installation to avoid filling up the system registry any further.
Of course there may be questions, so it would be handy if you had one German-speaking customer service can easily be reached by phone or chat. Pay attention to the language and contact channels of customer support.
Of course, the price is also a criterion that you should keep in mind. Free anti-spyware is available unfortunately not a cheap alternativebecause important functions are missing and real-time protection is usually not offered. Compare the functions and services offered against the costs in order to come to a good judgment.
The best anti-spyware at a glance
|Norton AntiVirus Plus||Kaspersky Anti-Virus||McAfee AntiVirus Plus||Avira Antivirus Pro||Malwarebytes|
Telephone & live chat
Email & phone
Email & phone
Email & phone
The Best Anti-Spyware in Detail
Below are the best anti-spyware solutions with detailed descriptions of their features and performance.
Spyware is one annoying threat our time. Regardless of whether it "only" slows down the system performance and internet connection or even records sensitive data and payment information and transmits it to third parties: it should be recognized on the PC and effectively removed. Anti-spyware programs like the one presented here are the right solution for this.
There are also stand-alone programs that are a little cheaper, but they won't go far enough for most users. It is certainly best to create one comprehensive anti-virus or internet security solution which monitors the entire PC and the data traffic with the Internet sustainably and in real time.
|Best anti-spyware provider|